Attorney Todd Dwire speaking with staff member in conference room

We See The Big Picture In Family Law

A Lakeville Divorce Lawyer Answers Your Questions

There are many rumors about divorce that can give rise to questions about what is best for you and your family. At Dwire Law Offices, we understand the laws in Minnesota surrounding divorce and can fully inform you as to what steps are best for your exact circumstances. Do not base your decisions on advice from friends and family without first talking to an experienced divorce and family law attorney.

Educating our clients is a huge priority at our family law office. Based in Lakeville, Minnesota, we can help clients in the Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Savage and Shakopee areas. We represent clients throughout the Twin Cities metro area, including Washington County, Dakota County, Scott County, Ramsey County, Rice County and Hennepin County.

Frequently Asked Questions Surrounding Divorce In Minnesota

Our divorce attorney, Todd Dwire, gets all types of questions regarding divorce. We are here to answer your questions. We understand your concerns and work to ease them. In the meantime, here are some answers to our most frequently asked questions about getting divorced in Minnesota. For answers to your specific questions, our firm offers a free initial consultation.

What is required in order to obtain a divorce in Minnesota?

Minnesota is a no-fault state. This means that you do not need to prove fault in order to divorce. The main two things that must be shown are that the marriage is irretrievably broken and that one of the individuals has lived in the state for at least 180 days.

How is divorce different than a separation?

With a legal separation, you are still able to obtain some of the advantages of being married. Whether it is for religious purposes or to make a potential divorce easier down the line, a legal separation may be perfect for your specific case. While both may take similar amounts of expense and time, a divorce is more final in that it completely ends your marriage.

Can I have my marriage annulled?

Possibly. There are certain statutory requirements that must be met in order to have an annulment. We can help you figure out if you qualify.

How much does a divorce cost?

This varies depending on the facts of each case. Factors that weigh into this are whether there are children involved, whether the parties can cooperate and come to their own agreements, and whether we have to take your case to court.

Do we have to go to court?

Not always. If you can agree on important issues with your spouse, the process can go much more quickly. Negotiating a settlement on the big issues can make the process go more smoothly and is more time-efficient than if there are a lot of disagreements. Divorce mediation and a neutral mediator can help facilitate a settlement on contentious issues. Resolving issues during mediation can help divorcing couples avoid court.

How does property get divided in a divorce?

The division of property and wealth can get very contentious, especially in a high net worth divorce. In the state of Minnesota, property is divided equitably. This means that the court will evaluate all of a couple’s marital assets and make sure that it is divided fairly. For example, retirement assets will be sorted out so that each person has an equal amount, even if only one spouse accumulated the retirement fund.

How do I change my child’s last name?

Both parents must receive notice of the application for a name change. In order to legally change the child’s name, you must show proof that the other parent has received that notice.

Will I get alimony or spousal support?

It depends. The court will look to a variety of factors when considering and calculating alimony or spousal support  To calculate alimony, the court will consider several factors including the length of the marriage, the financial resources of each spouse, the earning ability of each spouse and the quality of life maintained during the marriage.

My adult child is divorcing. As a grandparent, do I have any rights?

Grandparents have rights. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your adult child’s divorce, grandparents may even qualify for custody. If you are concerned about the well-being of your grandchild and would like to seek grandparent custody, we advise clients on grandparent rights throughout the Twin Cities metro area, including Dakota County, Washington County, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Rice County and Scott County.

Do You Still Have Questions? Consult A Lakeville Divorce Lawyer

If you have a question for a divorce lawyer, call Lakeville divorce attorney Todd Dwire at 866-442-9693 or send us an email through our website to get the answers you need. We offer free initial consultations at our Lakeville law office.