Attorney Todd Dwire speaking with staff member in conference room

We See The Big Picture In Family Law

Factoring College Plans Into Child Support

When it comes to child support, with narrow exceptions, the law in Minnesota only requires support payments to be made until your child finishes high school and reaches the age of 18. As a divorcing parent, however, you may still be concerned about funding your child’s college education.

There are ways to do this, but consider talking to an experienced divorce attorney like Todd Dwire of Dwire Law Offices first. Even if you are working amicably toward a settlement, experienced legal advice is still necessary to make sure you do not agree to something that could ruin you financially. Our Dakota, Rice and Scott County-based legal team has decades of experience helping clients with a wide range of family law concerns. You can trust us to always put your best interests at the forefront of every legal strategy.

Factoring A College Education Into Child Support Is Risky

A child support agreement takes into account many factors – health care, day care and education, to name a few. Under Minnesota law, parents do not have to pay for college as part of child support arrangements. As the majority of students attend college after they turn 18, there is no legal obligation to provide funding for tuition.

While paying for a child’s college after a divorce is a laudable goal, we do not always advise clients to do so as part of the child support process. We are committed to protecting the rights of our clients and advice like this is just one way that we can do that. We know where the pitfalls are, and we can help you avoid them.

Schedule A Free Consultation With An Experienced Attorney

To talk with a lawyer about child support and college education funding, call our law firm at 952-232-0179 or complete our online contact form. From our Lakeville law office, we can assist clients in the Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Savage and Shakopee areas.