Attorney Todd Dwire speaking with staff member in conference room

We See The Big Picture In Family Law

Assisting Clients With Post-Divorce Modifications In Minnesota

Although the terms of your divorce may seem final, events during your life may require changes to those orders. Post-divorce modifications are quite common in Minnesota. However, persuading the court to change a divorce decree in your favor can be difficult. Having an experienced family law attorney by your side can give your case that extra weight it needs to persuade the court.

At Dwire Law Offices in Lakeville, Minnesota, we have handled many post-divorce modification cases. We understand what information the court requires. We make sure that our clients’ petitions are complete and persuasive. If you are looking for a law firm that knows what it takes to file a successful petition for post-divorce modifications in Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Savage or Shakopee, you can trust us to help you.

Events That Require A Change To Child Custody Orders

The court considers many different factors before allowing modification of child custody orders. Generally, the court only makes changes if they are in the best interests of the child. The court may also make changes if the child is in emotional or physical danger or being neglected while in the physical custody of one of the parents. During the alteration of the child custody agreement, visitation and parenting time provisions may also be changed.

Relocation may also require modification of child custody and parenting arrangements. If you are relocating with your children in state or out of state, or you want to prevent a relocation, it is important that you discuss your case with a lawyer as soon as possible.

Events That Require A Change To Child Support Or Spousal Maintenance

The court may grant changes to financial payments for child support or spousal support if:

  • Either parent loses his or her job or is experiencing a medical emergency
  • There is a cost-of-living increase
  • The child becomes disabled or needs special medical attention
  • There are changes to the child support laws
  • A parent begins receiving additional income from remarriage

Petitioning the court to do post-divorce modifications can lead to lengthy and expensive court evaluations. The court may appoint a guardian ad litem to ensure that the child’s best interests are preserved. It can help to have a lawyer to ensure that the process runs smoothly.

Get Started On Your Modification Today

Without a lawyer, it can be very difficult to convince the court to rule in your favor. Contact our Rice, Dakota and Scott counties law firm for a free initial consultation, and we can work to find a solution for your child custody or child support needs. To schedule a free consultation at our Lakeville office, call 952-232-0179 or fill out our online contact form to get in touch with us.