Attorney Todd Dwire speaking with staff member in conference room

We See The Big Picture In Family Law

Dealing With Child Support and Child Custody If Your Relationship Ends

If you and your significant other have a child together out of wedlock and you break up, the only person who has any inherent legal rights to the child is the mother. Unwed fathers have to establish a legal relationship with their children. Establishing this relationship may require the payment of child support and an award of parenting time with his child. If you and your former significant other are having a dispute regarding parental rights, you need the help of a Lakeville lawyer who understands how to handle child support issues for nonmarried couples.

At Dwire Law Offices, we understand the delicacy and urgency involved in both sides of this issue. We help mothers who are seeking child support and fathers who want to enforce their parental rights deal with the circumstances legally and appropriately. Whether you live in Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Savage or Shakopee, you can rely on us to provide the support and guidance you need.

Child Support And Child Custody For Unmarried Parents

As a mother seeking child support, if you go on public assistance the county will ask who the obligor is for child support and help you set up child support payments from him. If you don’t qualify for child support, or if your child’s father isn’t paying, we will help you hold him accountable for current payments as well as any child support arrearages.

If you are a father who wants to enforce his parenting rights or who is being asked to pay child support, we will help you establish a legal bond with your child and get the appropriate payments set up. If you are being asked to pay from the date of your child’s birth and the two of you have been living together for much of the child’s life up until now, we will work aggressively to prevent these arrearages from being charged against you.

If you and the child’s mother were not cohabiting, you may face child support arrearages, which you are responsible for and will never go away. If you fail to pay them, your wages, bank account, and tax return can be garnished and your driver’s license can be taken away. We will work with your child’s mother and her attorney or the county to resolve this issue and set up some sort of payment plan.

We Will Help You Through This Difficult Time

At Dwire Law Offices, we understand how difficult child custody and support concerns can be. Our attorney and experienced legal team are here to guide you through the process and provide the support and advocacy you need. To schedule a free consultation at our Lakeville office, call us at 866-442-9693 or fill out our online contact form.