Attorney Todd Dwire speaking with staff member in conference room

We See The Big Picture In Family Law

Common Minnesota Child Support Questions

If you come to Dwire Law Offices, for a free consultation, we understand that you will have numerous questions about child support and how it is awarded. Take a look below at some typical questions and answers regarding child support, and then call us at our Lakeville, Minnesota, office to speak to an experienced family law attorney.

How Much Will I Owe In Child Support?

In Minnesota, child support payments are determined according to a formula that considers both parents’ income and the amount of parenting time each parent has with the children. In addition, other potential costs, such as day care, education and health care, will be considered.

What If I Am Paying Too Much Child Support Or Receiving Too Little?

If you can prove a significant change in circumstances, such as a raise, job loss or medical emergency, you may be able to modify the original child support decrees. It can be difficult to receive a modification from a judge, which is why it is important to enlist the help of a lawyer like Todd Dwire.

Can’t My Ex-Spouse And I Come To Some Kind Of Understanding On A Modification?

This may seem tempting, but we would not recommend putting that much trust in your co-parent to consider your best interests as well as his or her own. Pursuing a formal modification through the court is ideal. Informal agreements do not work well in family law situations because parents can always change their minds.

What If My Child’s Other Parent Is Not Paying Child Support?

If you are not receiving the child support payments that you and your children are owed, contact a law firm like Dwire Law Offices as soon as possible. We can quickly step in and file enforcement actions with the court to compel payment.

Can I Discharge Child Support Debt In Bankruptcy?

You cannot discharge child support arrears through bankruptcy. If you are having trouble meeting your obligations, you can either seek a modification or sit down with your co-parent to negotiate a solution. Either way, you should work with an attorney to protect your interests and rights.

We Offer Free Consultations If You Have More Questions

For any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 866-442-9693 or send us an online message to schedule a free consultation. From our office in Lakeville, we can assist clients in the Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Savage and Shakopee areas.