Dwire Law Offices

Free Initial Consultations
952-232-0179 866-442-9693

Free Initial Consultations

Question For a Divorce Lawyer

There are many rumors about divorce that can give rise to many questions about what is best for you and your family. At Dwire Law Offices, we understand the laws in Minnesota surrounding divorce and can fully inform you as to what steps are best for your exact circumstances. Do not base your decisions on advice from friends and family without first talking to an experienced attorney.

Educating our clients is a huge priority at our family law office. Contact our firm for a free consultation at 952-232-0179 to have any rumors about divorce resolved and any questions you have answered.

Frequently Asked Questions Surrounding Divorce in Minnesota

We get all types of questions regarding divorce and all of the areas that are affected by it. Some of the major questions we get include:

  • What is required in order to obtain a divorce in Minnesota? Minnesota is a no-fault state. This means that you do not need to prove fault in order to divorce. The main two things that must be shown are that the marriage is irretrievably broken and that one of the individuals has lived in the state for at least 180 days.
  • How is divorce different than a separation? With a legal separation, you are still able to obtain some of the advantages of being married. Whether it is for religious purposes, or making a potential divorce easier down the line, a legal separation may be perfect for your specific case. While both may take similar amounts of expense and time, a divorce is more final in that it completely ends your marriage.
  • Can I have my marriage annulled? Possibly. There are certain statutory requirements that must be met in order to have an annulment. We can help you figure out if you qualify.
  • How much does a divorce cost? This varies depending on the facts of each case. Factors that weigh into this are whether there are children involved, whether the parties can cooperate and come to their own agreements, and whether we have to go to court.
  • Do we have to go to court? Not always. If you can agree on most issues with your spouse, we can make the process much more smooth and time-efficient than if there are many disagreements.
  • How do I change my child’s last name? Both parents must receive notice of the application for a name change. In order to legally change the child’s name, you must show proof that the other parent has received that notice.
  • Will I get spousal support? It depends. The court will look to a variety of factors in determining who will pay support, if any is paid at all. Some factors include the length of the marriage, the financial resources of each spouse, earning ability of each spouse and the quality of life maintained during the marriage.

Free Consultation: Need More Answers to Your Divorce Questions?

If you have a question for a divorce lawyer, call Lakeville attorney Todd Dwire at 952-232-0179 or send an email to get the answers you need.