What to look for in a Divorce Attorney
One Size Does Not Fit All — What to Look for in a Divorce Attorney
Lawyers have their own personalities, styles of practice, demeanors and levels of experience. When looking for a lawyer to help you with your divorce, you want to make sure you find the right fit. Here are a few things to look for when hiring a divorce attorney:
- Ability to communicate clearly — Your lawyer needs to be able to clearly explain what’s happening and how your decisions will affect you and your family for the rest of your lives. You need to feel comfortable asking questions so you have the information you need to move forward.
- Open communication — You will be sharing many personal details with your lawyer. You need to feel comfortable doing so, even if they are not things that will specifically affect your divorce.
- Thorough understanding of the law — You want an attorney who not only understands the law, but how it will affect you, both short- and long-term.
- Thorough understanding of the legal system — Someone who knows how the courts work and how to help you navigate them.
- Experience and detailed knowledge — It is better to have an attorney who practices exclusively in the area of family law.
- Makes you and your case a priority — A good lawyer will listen, help you make educated decisions and cares about what happens to you.
Todd Dwire of Dwire Law Offices, P.A., in Lakeville, Minnesota, has all of these qualities. He believes in educating his clients and making sure they understand all of their options and the potential end results. He will help you determine what issues are worth pursuing and how a judge might decide your case if it ends up in litigation.
He will always keep your best interests in mind as you and your spouse work through the divorce process. His goal is for the two of you to come to a reasonable agreement about how to separate your lives. If that is not possible, he will take your case to court.